Skip to Content
Get Help! Call Us Today. 417-545-3775

Workers’ Comp Check is Late or Missing

Webster & Carlton

What Should I Do If My Worker's Compensation Check is Late or Missing?

After a workplace injury, finding out you will receive workers’ compensation benefits can be a relief. Injured workers often rely on these benefits to cover medical costs and allow them to pay their bills while they cannot work. However, even if your workers’ compensation claim was approved, you may be surprised when you receive your workers’ compensation late - or not at all. What do you do when your workers’ compensation check is delayed or missing? You can always call a Missouri workers’ compensation attorney for help recovering lost or late benefits.

Why was the Check Late or Lost?

Even if an insurance company has agreed to pay certain benefits, you may not receive those benefits for several different reasons, including:

  • Oversights
  • Clerical errors
  • Delay in processing
  • Intentional underpayment or payment stoppage

No matter what the reason behind the problem may be, the insurance company will likely not be very willing to correct the situation promptly. It often requires the help of an attorney who understands how these insurers work and who will not back down until you receive the benefits you deserve.

How a Lawyer Can Help

Just because an insurance company is in control of issuing your benefit checks, it does not mean you are powerless when they fail to do so. The law imposes penalties on insurance companies who do not issue benefit checks within the specified time frame. This penalty goes to the injured worker who did not receive their deserved benefits. While penalties mean that you may receive more money in the end, getting the insurance company to pay the penalties can be a challenge. A lawyer can help in many ways, including:

  • Notifying the insurance company of the lateness or failure to pay
  • Demanding payment and applicable penalties in line with your rights under the law
  • Taking further legal action if the insurance company still will not comply

Trying to take on an insurance company without legal representation can be frustrating and often, unsuccessful. Having the right lawyer standing up for your rights can give you the proper leverage to get the insurance company to provide payment. Your lawyer can also identify when the insurance company is acting in bad faith and take the necessary legal action, such as filing a lawsuit on your behalf. Checks can be delayed or may disappear whether you are entitled to monthly benefits or you won a lump sum award. In either situation, our law firm can assist you in receiving your check as soon as possible.

Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Missouri for Help Today

At The Law Firm of Webster & Carlton, our Missouri workers’ compensation lawyers will stand up for your rights. Whether you need to file a claim, appeal a denial, or seek the payment you deserve, call us in Springfield at (417) 545-3775 or the Joplin office at (417) 545-3775. You can also contact us online for your free case evaluation.

Share To: